Register now to learn about creating critical environment spaces with the latest air filtration components.
If 2020 has taught us anything, it’s that creating and maintaining critical environment spaces is more important now than ever before. AJ Manufacturing can help you learn how to do this effectively and efficiently at our free webinar on July 29 at 10:00 a.m. CST.
Led by our Senior Product Engineer, Burt Smith and National Sales Manager, Amy VanWagner, this webinar will cover how recent regulatory actions have expanded the traditional definition of a “critical environment” and burdened building owners with new responsibilities for keeping people safe.
We’ll also cover the ways AJ Manufacturing can make it easier and faster to establish safe, clean environments in a range of applications, including conventional medical facilities, emergency/temporary patient isolation rooms, hazardous drug handling areas and others.
HVAC-related professionals in all industries are welcome to attend, but space is limited, so we encourage you to reserve your spot as soon as possible. Register now.
Create safer indoor environments anywhere with our line of Criti-Clean Ultra FFUs.
In the recent past, highly purified air was primarily reserved for hospitals, laboratories and manufacturing clean room environments. But today, after the onset of COVID-19, demand for HEPA-filtered air is skyrocketing – in a wide range of building types where it was rarely, if ever, considered before.
Much of the new interest in HEPA filtration is coming from obvious places, such as doctors’ and dentists’ offices. But that’s only the beginning. Building owners and tenants in all types of businesses are showing unprecedented demand for cleaner indoor air to protect workers and customers. These include everything from general office buildings, to schools, to retail spaces like stores, restaurants, salons and much more.
Fortunately, there’s an effective and efficient way to make the air cleaner and safer in any building – AJ Manufacturing’s Criti-Clean Ultra Fan Filter Units (FFUs). These fan-powered laminar flow HEPA filter diffusers remove airborne contaminants from the stream of air they deliver into a room.
For permanent installations, the Criti-Clean Ultra is available in a ceiling-mounted unit that is easy to retrofit into existing spaces due to its low plenum height of only 13.7″. For temporary and relocatable use, Criti-Clean Ultra also comes in a convenient portable unit that is mounted on wheels and plugs into a standard electrical wall outlet. It can be placed virtually anywhere to continually circulate HEPA filtered air in a room.
The Criti-Clean Ultra is the most powerful FFU on the market, and is packed with a long list of features and benefits:
- The industry’s highest output, up to 1200 CFM.
- Energy efficiency (only 42 watts at 90 FPM velocity/450 CFM).
- Quiet performance (only 45 DBA at 90 FPM, 58 DBA at 1100 CFM).
- Optional air inlet sensor that measures and displays CFM in real time, rather than relying on outdated computed readings or algorithms based on performance data.
- Optional built-in LED lights on ceiling-mounted unit to maximize ceiling space.
- Plus, much more
Reverse-Flow Units Also Available
Both the ceiling-mounted and portable Criti-Clean Ultra FFUs are also available in reverse-flow models that remove potentially contaminated air from a room. These units create a negative-pressure environment that can be used to isolate someone who has – or may have – an infectious disease like COVID-19.
As with any addition to an existing system, we recommend you consult an HVAC professional on how best to incorporate Criti-Clean Ultra FFUs into your building. For more information on the Criti-Clean Ultra, click here.
Tips and resources for creating safer work environments when returning HVAC systems back to operation.
Now that states and municipalities across the country are eliminating stay-at-home orders due to COVID-19 – and businesses that had employees working remotely are choosing to return to work – many facilities personnel are concerned about getting their buildings back in operation safely, especially when it comes to their HVAC systems. ASHRAE and the CDC both offer advice on the subject, which we have summarized here.
Prior to a building’s reopening, ASHRAE suggests that facility operators create a strategic plan that includes the following:
- Create measures to make occupants feel safer.
- Ensure a supply chain for critical items, such as filters, as confirmed for delivery.
- Review contractual agreements with tenants with regards to building support.
- Establish a communication protocol with tenants and include key contacts.
- Prepare and provide training for tenants on safety measures.
ASHRAE also offers a number of suggestions concerning building HVAC systems, including:
- Follow the requirements of ASHRAE Standard 188-2018, which has tables to show the typical maintenance on equipment.
- Consider PPE when maintaining ventilation materials, including filters and condensate. Consult additional guidance before duct cleaning.
- Check if all the setbacks and setup modes are reversed back to normal.
- Open outside air intake dampers to their maximum, 100% preferred, four hours minimum, before the reoccupation. The maximum position the outside air dampers may be opened will depend on the time of year, local climate, the temperature and humidity of the outside air, and the capability of the HVAC equipment to condition the outside air so that the system is able to maintain acceptable indoor temperature and humidity. When operating in this “flush out” mode, monitor the system continuously to make sure that unexpected or unacceptable conditions inside do not develop. Upon completion of the flush, the damper positions should be corrected to provide design levels.
- Check to see that space temperature and relative humidity levels are being controlled to the acceptable setpoints.
The CDC also suggests ways to improve building ventilation to help reduce transmission of COVID-19:
- Consider using portable HEPA fan/filtration systems to help enhance air cleaning (especially in higher risk areas).
- Increase the percentage of outdoor air (e.g., using economizer modes of HVAC operations) potentially as high as 100%. (First verify compatibility with HVAC system capabilities for both temperature and humidity control as well as compatibility with outdoor/indoor air quality considerations.)
- Increase total airflow supply to occupied spaces, if possible.
- Disable demand-control ventilation (DCV) controls that reduce air supply based on temperature or occupancy.
- Consider using natural ventilation (i.e., opening windows if possible and safe to do so) to increase outdoor air dilution of indoor air when environmental conditions and building requirements allow.
- Improve central air filtration:
- Increase air filtration to as high as possible without significantly diminishing design airflow.
- Inspect filter housing and racks to ensure appropriate filter fit and check for ways to minimize filter bypass.
- Consider running the building ventilation system even during unoccupied times to maximize dilution ventilation.
- Generate clean-to-less-clean air movement by re-evaluating the positioning of supply and exhaust air diffusers and/or dampers and adjusting zone supply and exhaust flow rates to establish measurable pressure differentials. Have staff work in areas served by “clean” ventilation zones that do not include higher-risk areas such as visitor reception or exercise facilities.
AJ Manufacturing offers a range of products that can help eliminate airborne contaminants in a building’s HVAC system through the use of HEPA and ULPA filtration. Contact us for more information.
Learn more from ASHRAE here.
Learn more from the CDC here.
To meet the growing need for patient isolation due to the coronavirus pandemic, AJ Manufacturing has introduced a portable reverse flow fan-powered HEPA filter diffuser to quickly creative negative-pressure isolation rooms in any permanent or temporary hospital environment.
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (PRWEB) April 06, 2020
AJ Manufacturing – a leading manufacturer of critical environment HVAC products – has introduced a portable version of its Reverse Flow Criti-Clean Ultra™ Fan Filter Unit (FFU) to quickly and easily create patient isolation rooms. The new units were specifically developed to help protect healthcare workers treating COVID-19 patients and to help reduce the spread of the virus.
Like the original ceiling-mounted model, the portable Reverse Flow Criti-Clean Ultra™ FFU connects to existing ductwork and creates a negative pressure environment that removes the air from a patient room and cleans it via the unit’s built-in HEPA filter, keeping airborne contaminants from escaping. The unit comes on wheels for easy movement and can be plugged into a standard electrical wall outlet.
“We’re proud to be able to do our small part to help protect healthcare workers who are treating the growing number of coronavirus patients,” said Rob Haake, president of AJ Manufacturing. “Our plant is 100% focused on producing both our permanent and portable FFU models for as long as they are needed to help stop the spread of the virus.”
In addition to reverse flow units that take in air and remove it from a room, standard FFU models – both ceiling mounted and portable – are also available to bring HEPA filtered air into a room. AJ’s ceiling mounted FFUs offer the industry’s lowest plenum height of just 13.7″, allowing easier retrofitting into existing ceiling spaces.
For more information, contact AJ Manufacturing at 816-231-5522 or visit http://www.ajmfg.com.
About AJ Manufacturing
AJ Manufacturing is an industry leader in stainless steel air distribution products for critical environments, such as hospitals, laboratories, pharmaceutical plants and many others. The company offers a wide range of both standard and custom products, including filter and non-filter diffusers, supply and return grilles, dampers, louvers and more.
Criti-Clean Ultra FFUs Keep Healthcare Patients and Workers Safe
We have long played a vital role in helping hospitals provide critical environment patient isolation care. Today that’s truer than ever, thanks to our Reverse Flow Criti-Clean Ultra FFU.
Our Reverse Flow Criti-Clean Ultra fan powered laminar flow HEPA filter diffusers are the perfect choice for hospital isolation rooms with patients suffering from highly contagious diseases such as COVID-19. That’s because they’re designed to create a negative pressure environment that removes the air from an isolation room and
cleans it via the unit’s built-in HEPA filter, which keeps airborne
contaminants from escaping the room.
In addition, our Reverse Flow models offers all the same industry-leading features you’ll find in every Criti-Clean Ultra FFU, including…
- A new air inlet sensor that measures CFM in real time, rather than relying on outdated computed readings or algorithms based on performance data
- The industry’s highest output, up to 1200 CFM
- The industry’s lowest plenum height – just 13.7″ – for easy retrofits
- Energy efficiency (only 42 watts at 90 FPM velocity/450 CFM)
- Quiet performance (only 45 DBA at 90 FPM, 58 DBA at 1100 CFM)
- Optional built-in LED lights – for maximizing ceiling space
- Plus, much more
Contact us today to learn more about our life-saving critical care environment products like our Reverse Flow Criti-Clean Ultra FFU.
Mounting Clamps are Specially Designed for Hard Ceiling Applications
AJ Manufacturing is pleased to introduce a new surface mount clamp option for our industry leading Criti-Clean Ultra FFU that makes installation in hard ceiling applications easier.
These new surface mount clamps are positioned on the sides of the Criti-Clean Ultra, and simply swing out into a perpendicular clamping position to tighten to the ceiling via access plugs on the bottom of the unit.
Installation is easy:
- Slide the unit into the opening in the ceiling, making sure the clamps are in the install position, parallel to the unit.
- Insert screwdriver into the access plugs on the bottom of the unit to swing the foot into clamp position and tighten to the ceiling.
- If necessary, support the weight of the unit using hanger tabs attached to the structure above.
Standard surface mount clamps are designed to fit a hard ceiling thickness of 1.5″; however, clamps can be custom designed for different ceiling thicknesses. To learn more about our new FFU surface mount clamp system, download our technical drawings or contact us today.
Automated Bending System Delivers High Precision 24/7
We’ve greatly increased our capacity with the recent addition of a new robotic press break – an Amada HG 1303 Rm automated bending system that combines a state-of-the-art high-precision press brake with a multi-axis robot.
The new automated system was designed to deliver precise, repeatable results within a wide range of part specifications – from part loading to producing the finished part. It can also accurately process large parts that previously required two operators to handle. The robotic bending system automatically compensates for the part’s position before each bend, and ensures consistent bend angle accuracy
every time. Plus, with robotic loading and unloading, the system can produce parts 24 hours a day.
With unmatched accuracy and continually consistent results, our new robotic press brake system is just one more way AJ Manufacturing helps bring our customers the highest quality critical environment products in the industry.
New Built-In Probe Measures and Reports Real-Time CFM with Unmatched Accuracy
AJ Manufacturing is proud to introduce another first in our long history of innovation: accurate real-time CFM measurement and reporting, thanks to a first-of-its kind probe built into the air inlets of our Criti-Clean Ultra fan powered laminar flow HEPA filter diffusers.
Our engineers worked with industry experts to develop this groundbreaking technology that takes the guesswork out of critical environment FFU performance. Until now, CFM measurement relied upon a computed reading – an algorithm based on performance assumptions – to report CFM. Our revolutionary new probe, however, now senses and reports CFM in real time. That means not only will our Criti-Clean Ultra’s CFM readings be hyper accurate, it will also be easier than ever to verify the necessary air changes per hour to meet requirements for clean room certification.
Criti-Clean Ultra’s real time CFM monitoring also offers a range other benefits, including:
- True airflow sensing that’s not based on assumptions
- Field calibration to ensure accuracy
- Insensitivity to HVAC inlet conditions
- Not affected by air pressure
Contact us today to learn more.
It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year – and a Great Time to Say Thanks FOR this Past Wonderful Year!
Once again, an entire year has somehow flown by, and suddenly it’s time for the holidays once more. It’s also the time of year that we look back and reflect on the year that’s past, and on how fortunate we are at AJ for our customers who have made these last 12 months great. Thank you!
We’ve been working hard this past year to meet the challenges of our customers’ critical environment needs by offering more innovative products and services than ever. Looking back, we think new products
like our S6 Ceiling System that combines heavy-duty ceiling grids with state-of-the-art laminar flow products and LED lighting does just that.
Here’s another accomplishment of which we’re very proud: helping pharmacies across the country meet new USP 800 regulations for handling hazardous pharmaceuticals with our industry-leading laminar flow products like our low profile, high performance Criti-Clean Ultra FFU. And now to end the year and take us into 2020, we’re proud to introduce 100% accurate, real time CFM readings thanks to a new state-of-the-art probe built into the air inlet of our Criti-Clean Ultra
that takes the guesswork out of measuring and reporting air flow.
We’re looking forward to bringing even more innovation and service to our customers in 2020. In the meantime, please remember how grateful we are to be able to continue to serve your needs now, and into the future. All the best to you and yours this holiday season!
We will once again be closing our offices and plant this holiday season. We will be closed Saturday, December 21, 2019 through Wednesday, January 1, 2020. Our plant and offices will reopen for business Thursday, January 2, 2020. If you have any questions about delivery schedules for current orders, please call us at 816-231-5522. We hope you enjoy your holiday season!
The S6 Combines Heavy-Duty Stainless Steel Ceiling Grids with State-of-the-Art Laminar Flow Products and LED Lighting.
AJ Manufacturing is proud to introduce the new “S6”
Operating Room System – the Stainless Steel Sterile Surgical Suite System.
Our new S6 System is a complete, customizable ceiling
and air distribution system – plus lighting solution – that’s specifically
engineered for hospital operating rooms. High-output LED lighting combined with
laminar airflow equipment eliminates the traditional “light ring” in surgical
suites, while also freeing up valuable ceiling space for surgical equipment and
optimizing contaminant removal from the operating room.
Conforming to all ASHRAE 170 requirements, the S6 Operating
Room System offers an unbeatable amount of flexibility for your new operating
room construction or remodeling projects. Our suspended ceiling systems feature
heavy-duty, welded and gasketed 1.5″ grids constructed of stainless
steel that are custom engineered and built to your exact specifications. Add in
our powerful Criti-Clean Ultra Fan Powered Laminar Flow HEPA Filter
Diffusers with built-in LED light panels, and the S6 Operating Room System allows
you to create a clean room environment of any size – large or small – anywhere
you need it. Any number of FFUs and light panels may be linked to meet your
exact performance and efficiency needs for any application.
Call us today at 816-231-5522 to learn more about how our
new S6 Operating Room System can mean greater quality, efficiency and
flexibility for your operating and clean room projects.
New Dual-Armed Robotic Welder Improves Efficiency and Throughput
We recently installed a new dual armed Miller PerformArc robotic welder to help further increase our production capabilities. This new robotic welder will more than double our welding capacity, as our current single arm robotic welder will remain in service.
Our robotic welding systems are high-tech and high-speed, offering the strongest, most precise and most consistent welding possible for our HVAC products. All of which means superior quality for our customers, time after time, with reliable, airtight welds.
That’s because our robotic welders have
superior path accuracy, plus the ability to lay down the same amount
of weld metal on each pass, eliminating quality issues associated with manual
over- or under-welding.
AJ’s High CFM Output, Energy Efficient Laminar Flow HEPA FFU Eases Retrofitting and Compliance Issues.
As we’ve been mentioning throughout this past year, December
1, 2019, is the deadline for meeting USP 800 regulations for handling hazardous
pharmaceuticals. AJ Manufacturing’s powerful, easier-to-retrofit Criti-Clean
Ultra FFU helps pharmacies remodel their spaces to meet these new guidelines
with fewer headaches.
The Criti-Clean Ultra fan powered laminar flow HEPA filter
diffuser is the lowest height FFU available on the market today – just 13.7″.
That makes it easier to retrofit Criti-Clean Ultra into existing pharmacy spaces
– especially those with limited ceiling space.
But even though it takes up less space, it’s incredibly powerful, meeting USP 800 air change and leak test requirements while offering higher CFM output than other FFUs. You can also order the Criti-Clean Ultra with options like built-in LED lights that make even better use of limited ceiling space.
Additional Features Include:
- Constant airflow up to 1200 CFM to meet USP 800 air change requirements
- Powerful, computer-controlled, variable speed ECM motor
- Unique all welded plenum meets stringent pressure and leak testing requirements
- Quiet operation – only 45 DBA at 90 FPM, 58 DBA at 1200 CFM
- HEPA or ULPA filter with room-side access
- Type 304 stainless steel construction
- Room-side digital CFM display and adjustment control offers instant visual verification, and can be set or adjusted in seconds
- Sizes: 48″x24″x13.7″, 36″x24″x13.7″, 24″x24″x13.7″
- Voltages: 120, 208, 240 and 277
Call us today at 816-231-5522 to learn more about our
Criti-Clean Ultra and meeting USP 800 pharmacy compliance.
by Burt Smith, Product Engineer at AJ Manufacturing Co., Inc.
There is a dizzying array of control options and possible control schemes out there for HVAC systems and adding a clean room creates even more complexity. With new requirements like USP 800 firms previously unexposed to these types of systems are now being thrust right into the deep end of complex cleanroom scenarios.
The most difficult situations are those where 100% fresh air is required to the space and you have strict pressure requirements that are significantly different for adjoining rooms. An example of this is a compounding pharmacy which includes exhaust hoods that add to the issues.
Attempting to control incoming and outgoing CFM to maintain the narrow window of pressure requirements is the conventional thinking of balanced system. Balancing a system to achieve this can be very time consuming and there are always unexpected conditions on site that require fine tuning to meet the room requirements further adding to the complexity and frailty of the balance.
There is was to reduce this time consuming process and make the system more robust. Modern controls allow for not just monitoring and controlling to these indirect CFM methods but directly to the requirements themselves.
Modern EC motor fans, like those in our Criti-Clean products, can be directly controlled by a sensor or building management system to maintain the required differential pressures, particle counts, or other critical criteria directly. Using a direct control method often simplifies balancing and ensures that the requirements of the room are more likely to be met even when there is a component failure, inadvertent flow change, or even something as simple as an anteroom door being opened.
Identifying the most critical requirements and prioritizing them will allow you to design a more robust system with better reliability and more useful reporting data. Let us help you ensure your projects success now and in years to come by working with our engineers early in the design process to help find your best solution.
A-J Manufacturing was featured in the “What’s Hot in Innovation” section of Pharmaceutical Processing/ Controlled Environment s digital magazine.
The piece focuses on A-J Manufacturing’s Fan Filter Unit.Read more »